Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Twelve months of awesomeness

November 2016 - It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...


November 12, 2016

Our George celebrated his very first birthday on the 12th and it was a simply wonderful day! He enjoyed blueberry buttermilk pancakes for breakfast. We sang "Happy Birthday" and blew out a candle on a banana cupcake with blueberry whipped cream with his grandparents in Washington via Skype. Modern technology is truly fantastic, when it works!


Pancakes make you "SO BIG!"

Banana cake is the best!



The afternoon was spent at the Kansas City Zoo. George waved to his admirers from his new little red wagon, took real interest in the penguins, and did a fair bit up walking - even helping Daddy to get the wagon up a hill.


Waving to the crowds

Hello penguins!

So excited to "help"



That evening, George opened a few presents, read some new books, and played with Mommy and Daddy. Our first year of parenting is in the books! We all survived and continue to have a healthy and happy little boy. Life is good.

Happy birthday, George!











On the 8th Donald Trump was elected to be the 45th president of the United States. I still can't believe it. I don't want to believe it. But I guess it really will happen. I don't want to write about this, but a post about November 2016 would not be complete without some discussion. I have struggled with what I can do. I don't have a lot of extra money or time to donate to the numerous institutions that will be threatened by this incoming administration. So I've decided to simply be the change I want to see. Be kind to people, reach out to people, especially those that may be feeling threatened and alienated. For example, George and I stayed after story time at the library to play and chat with a Muslim mother and her son. We didn't talk about current events or anything, just about normal life with a little one and watched them play together. I wanted her to feel welcome and accepted. I hope we were able to do that. Our children are watching us. Be the change you want to see and hopefully they will lead us into a better world. At least a better world than we brought them into.

Samira and George - this picture warms my heart, gives me joy and hope for the future