 |
| Black Bean soup is delicious! |
George loves to wave "hello" to people, all people: short, tall, large, skinny, old, young, handicapped, friendly, grumpy, white, black, brown, men and women, animals too! Basically if you are alive or simply moving (he waves to cars and trucks too), he will give you a HUGE smile and wave. Sometimes he is ignored, or people don't see his enthusiastic wave, but if he does manage to make eye contact with you I can guarantee you'll smile in return. His smile is infectious. His complete love of life and the world around him is right there in his smile and wave. People most often remark about his beautiful dark brown eyes, long lashes and how happy he is. He does cry and has begun to throw the occasional tantrum, but is for the most part ridiculously happy.
 |
| Fun times at the park |
What makes George so happy? I am not an authority on children, and while I may know him better than most I'm not even an authority on George. My guess is partly this is just who George is - at least for now (who know what the teenage years will bring...). I also think it is equally because he is unconditionally loved, he is safe, he is healthy, and he is fed.
 |
| Enjoying a rare quiet moment with a book. |
Sounds simple enough right? Sadly for so many people these are not simple things, though goodness knows they should be.
 |
| George in his natural state - on the GO! |
Since becoming mobile I've often wished I could wrap George in bubble wrap, keep a crash helmet on him, or hold him in a padded room so he isn't hurt. He falls down, he runs into things, he bangs his head. And while putting a wall around him to keep him safe might do just that, I would hate to have him grow up isolated and unable to be free. I want George to experience all the world has to offer, and sadly that's going to bring with it danger. Yes, this post is getting into current events now but you had to know that was coming. It was right there in the title.
 |
| Mommy's letters to our elected state and federal representatives |
Years down the road after we've *hopefully* survived this current administration George is going to ask me, "Mom, what was it like during the Trump years? What did you do?" I'm going to tell him I was a
Nap Time Activist.
- Monday through Friday every time George goes down for his long morning nap I write a script and call my senators, congressman, and governor to voice my opinion and concerns. I do so with respect and always thank the person taking my call for passing along my views.
- Instead of selling the toys and clothes he's outgrown for a bit of cash, I donate them to the Jewish Vocational Services to help refugee families in Kansas City.
- I became an American Civil Liberties Union monthly donor.
I'm sure as these four years go on there will be much more I to do. People say pick a cause and get involved. Right now that is hard for me to do as there are just so many worthy and important causes. So for now I selected one a day and pick up the phone.
 |
| Women's March Rally at Washington Park - Kansas City, Missouri (1/21/2017) |
Before Saturday, January 21, 2017 I had never been proactive like this. So I guess in a way I should thank the Trump administration for waking me up and getting me to take more responsibility for what is happening in the world. George deserves a world that will return his smile and his joy for life. There is always going to be evil in the world, but there is also love. I continue to hold fast to the belief that there is more love than evil -
love trumps hate. The
Nap Time Activist is awake.
 |
| Proud to be part of the millions of people worldwide standing together to voice our solidarity and concern. |